You are herePlanning Commission Meeting
Planning Commission Meeting
1. Approve minutes 2. Signs for mixed uses in the GR-2 district, continued... 3. Northshire Day School, 5484 Main Street: proposed Act 250 amendment to remove offer/requirement to restore the historic barn, revisited - may be recessed at applicant's request... 4. Flood Hazard Bylaws: review of draft update, continued... 5. Other Business
1. Approve minutes
2. Signs for mixed uses in the GR-2 district, continued...
3. Northshire Day School, 5484 Main Street: proposed Act 250 amendment to remove offer/requirement to restore the historic barn, revisited - may be recessed at applicant's request...
4. Flood Hazard Bylaws: review of draft update, continued...
5. Other Business
Present: Chair John Ringwood, Craig Hunter, Greg Boshart, Chris Glabach, Steve Grossfeld, Bill Drunsic; Tristan Poplar; also Planning Director Lee Krohn, and others per sign-in sheet
The meeting was called to order at 7:00 P.M.
Motion Hunter, seconded by Boshart, to approve the minutes of 9/28/09; OK unanimously.
Signs for mixed uses in the GR-2 district: considerable discussion ensued over the purpose of signs in this mixed use district, potential impacts thereof, and appropriate size, number, and design of such signs for mixed use ‘business park’ projects. In the end, it was decided to draft an amendment to the Sign Ordinance that in a manner similar to that which already exists in the C-1 district, would allow larger signs for single properties with multiple tenants. Here, where more than four separate tenants exist on a lot, the proposal would allow:
- The free standing sign (or signs, if two are allowed under frontage rules) to be 16 sq ft;
- Minimum of 6 sq ft dedicated to the business park or ‘place’ name;
- The balance of 10 sq ft may be used to advertise tenants;
- Individual tenant signs shall be of similar size/shape/orientation; these shall have at least one uniform dimension (ie., width; and may then be of varying height);
- A decorative cornice (as otherwise permitted) may include E-911 numbers but not advertising;
- Each tenant may be advertised on only one sign (if multiple signs are otherwise permitted);
- Each tenant sign may be no larger than 5 sq ft in size.
- The purpose and rationale is to help solve the problem statement (how to advertise multiple tenants in larger projects, while maintaining the integrity of a mixed use zoning district).
Northshire Day School, 5484 Main Street, request to amend permits regarding historic barn, revisited:
- Applicant was unable to attend. Motion Drunsic to reconsider at the next meeting the Commission’s prior consensus position ‘not to oppose’ this request; this was based on new information received about the barn subsequent to that meeting and discussion. Seconded by Hunter and approved unanimously.
- Flood Hazard Bylaw update: the matter was tabled again until comments are received from the state on the latest draft.
Upcoming meeting schedule, and other informational items were discussed.
The results of the recent Selectboard hearing on proposed zoning amendments, specifically the proposed changes to the C-1 boundary south of the Junction, were discussed. This will be placed on a future agenda for further consideration.
Krohn presented the award given to the Town at last week’s annual conference of the Vermont Planners Association for giving youth a voice in Town decision making.
The meeting was then adjourned at 9:40 P.M.
Respectfully submitted by Lee Krohn.